As I mentioned in my previous post about the reasons why teens should volunteer, I think it’s an incredibly valuable life lesson to put forth work for a greater cause for no other reason than to do something good (well, I suppose it’s partially because Mom made them, but still). Where should one start, though? Well, I put together an idea and link list (sometimes you’ll need to do the Google search yourself to find something in your area) that in sha Allah proves helpful, or at least gets the gears going to come up with other ideas that your community needs.
- Nursing homes
- Volunteer Match – searchable listings of available volunteer opportunities
- Feed My Starving Children – provides food packs to communities in need across the globe
- Feeding America – provides food for food shelves across the US
- United We Serve Toolkits – Provides a jump start to starting a volunteer movement in your community
- The Red Cross – has many various volunteer opportunities
- Humane Society
- Habitat for Humanity – this one is close to my heart as a very good friend of mine just bought a home through them.
- Master Gardners in public gardents
What else has your family taken part in?
Leave a Reply