As I’ve mentioned, in the past few weeks I’ve been trying to make a conscience effort to have Little Miss more involved in activities during the day. She was asking to watch a “foofie” (movie) I swear every hour! We aim for limited TV time at home (trying to always keep it under 2 hours, ideally trying to keep it down to 2 – 30 minute educational shows), so this was not working. She doesn’t have anyone at her level to play with every day, so I think it really came down to she was getting bored.
Enter paint, dried beans, and empty sour cream containers! Here’s what has been keeping us busy lately:
- Threading a shoe lace through an old spice bottle cap
- Put dried beans in an old spice bottle and cut a hole in the top of an empty sour cream container. Little Miss then has to find a way to empty the spice container (her hand won’t fit inside) to get the beans and fit them into the hole on the sour cream container. This is one of her favorite activities!
- Get a funnel and empty the dried bean from one container to another using the funnel as a guide into the receiving container
- Paint with Q-tips and cotton balls
- Take out all your plastic storage containers and match the lids to the containers
- In a tall, narrow shortbread cookie tin, fill it up with various toys. Not all of them will fit in the opening!
- Read, read read! We are reading between 40-60 minutes a day in total. Of course this comes in short bursts throughout the day. We’ve started analyzing the books with the help of Before Five in a Row, too!
- Since we’ve had some snow, Hubby took Little Miss out to explore in the snow. I’m lacking much snow gear that will fit me at 23 weeks pregnant, but I should figure out something because outside time is great for kids!
What do you do to keep your toddler entertained without much TV?